Sunday, July 14, 2013

Back in America!

Back in the US of A!  What a feeling.  To top it all off, in the last three weeks I have returned from Zambia, moved to Chicago, and started grad school.  So far so good but it has been a bit chaotic.  I am getting my Master's in Urban Education and for the last week we have just scratched the surface of stereotypes, hierarchy in education, culture related to culture, and statistics that affect the outcome of student success.  All this information has been super interesting and a rather easy transition because I have been dealing with the same sorts of questions in Africa, but obviously on a different scale.

As I come back after almost 2-years, culture shock wasn't what I thought it would be.  I don't feel like I have had any moments where I couldn't deal with the emotion or understand the struggle between the two cultures, or two lifestyles that I have been living for the last 2-years.  I LOVED life in Zambia and at the same time, I  LOVE life here in America.  They are COMPLETELY different, and that is ok!  I think the hardest thing thus far has been entering into a grad program that focuses so much on urban life and racial diversity for the following reasons:

1)  I try not to compare "our problems" in America to the problems that we faced in Zambia.
2)  Everything we talk about in class from profiling, stereotypes, and achievement gaps we faced in Zambia but on a much different scale.  So it has been interesting to recenter myself and allow statistics to be different and realize that in America, we value things differently.
3)  There is a different level of motivation and self-worth in America.  Generally, people in Zambia are poor, but they have such a drive and motivation to be better.  I had one student who attended my school who walked 4 miles each way just to attend school.  He was very seldom late and he never complained about it.  Education was a priority to him and his grandmother and he knew that was his only way to become a better citizen/man!

So, as we go forward, I am going to forewarn you that I may blog a lot about the comparisons and they struggle between understanding for me, because it is a real struggle!  I don't EVER want to make Chicago problems, AUSL struggles, or American challenges seem less important or worthy, it is just difficult to wrap your mind around things when people in other parts of the world would "give up their life" to be educated.  Long story short, I want to work in urban education because I truly believe that we need adults who are passionate about education, well-round and aware of other worlds to put life into perspective for our students through challenging, encouraging, and motivating environments.  If there is one thing I have realized more and more through my experience and entering grad school classes, we are all more alike than different.  People on every continent suffer the same struggle and fight the same fight but at a different level.

Some of us teachers will be working with ESL students who may experience culture shock. We may be working with students who get moved around every year or every other year; some of us may struggle to connect because of our personal stories or experiences so I have attached a few things I have been reading that may give some insight or things to think about.  These readings are simply about culture shock and reengaging into a community that you are unfamiliar with.  We, as teachers, will need to be able to assist in that transition process while understanding, or trying to understand where they are at!

ESL students and Culture Shock

Thought this was interesting

More in-depth with Culture Shock

Twalamonana!  Stacey

2 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to imagine how your experience in Zambia has and will continue to affect your thoughts about education in Chicago and in America as a whole. Personally, I know there were times (and still are times) when I didn’t want to go to school. I fully understand the importance of education and I want to instill that upon the youth of America, but as a student myself I know that sometimes I get caught up in other aspects of my life, or am simply being lazy and don’t want to go to school. After reading your blog, it helps put education into perspective. In America we are extremely privileged when it comes to our school system. In many of our courses we have been talking about the privileges and non-privileges of others and ourselves. As Americans we are privileged in the respect that if you want an education, you can have it. No one has to walk 4 miles both ways to school.
    You also commented that you try not to compare our problems in America with the problems that you faced in Zambia. We are becoming such a globalized society that I think it is hard not to compare the two. We compare ourselves to Finland, Europe, Greenland, and all of the other high performing countries around the world, so I often wonder why don’t we compare and consider ourselves in comparison with high poverty countries as well?
    I can't wait to hear more about how your experience in Zambia affects your experience here in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people think they know the feeling of culture shock because they spent a week or maybe a month in another country. Not to belittle them but one needs to actually live within the culture or at least not have an "out" to their own culture after a short amount of time. Clearly, you understand the feeling and will be able to connect with the students who will be going through their own cultural shock. I do not think that it is necessarily bad to compare the struggles of one place to another. It is good to have a bigger perspective on things and it could even help you process some information.
    Culture Shock is a beast in itself. There is so much to deal with and there are so many ups and downs. I have always been told it is like a "W." In the beginning you are excited and everything generally goes well. After the "honeymoon" stage ends, there are more negative feelings that occur. This process of feeling good and bad can continue for quite awhile until the person is able to become comfortable with the surrounds and environment.


    ReplyDelete